Tuesday, November 1, 2016

The many faces of Raggedy Ann

Clockwise from top:  Annie's by Tanja, Lorraine, Joyce, and me :-)

How many of us had a Raggedy Ann as a child?  I did; she was the classic red-haired urchin with 'I love you' printed on her chest.  Three of my Flickr friends became beguiled by Annie, and I wanted to share their delightful dolls with you.

Annie is a doll with a lot of heart, as you can see from the four above.  Here is a little more information about them:


These beautiful Annies are by Tanja, who is Lenekie on Flickr.  Her dolls are remarkable; take a look at her photostream.  These Annies are from Oh Sew Dollin, who's patterns can be found on Etsy.




Blue-haired LiliAnnie was made by Joyce, aka Dutzie on Flickr, from another Oh Sew Dollin pattern. LiliAnnie is only six inches tall!   Check out Joyce's photostream for more delightful dolls.




This dear little red-head, Esme by name,  was made by Lorraine, aka Balancing Kiwi on Flickr.  She used my Prairie Flowers cloth doll pattern (that you can find on the left sidebar of this blog), and turned her into the most adorable 13 inch Annie :-)  Lorraine has many wonderful dolls on her Flickr photostream.




AnnaBelle is another Prairie Flower Annie; I reduced the pattern to 50%, so she is also a tiny mite at six inches small.  If you reduce the clothing patterns by the same amount, you can create quite a wardrobe for your pocket Annie.

Other delightful designers of Annie's are Maureen Mills of Sweet Meadow Farms, and Cindy's Homespun, both on Etsy.

Dee Powell Annie's made many years ago

Annie can have many faces, but all of them speak to the heart.

11 comments:

  1. They are all so wonderful. I never had a Raggedy Ann as a child and only discovered her a few years ago...who can resist her smile. Lovely to see all the different interpretations and also to see my girl on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the different ways that Raggedy Ann can be imagined, and all of them full of sweetness and love. Thank you for letting me feature your dear doll here :-)

      warmly,

      Beth

      Delete
  2. These dolls are all so sweet. I didn't have a Raggedy Ann as a child. I don't think she is as popular here in the UK but she is adorable. I think I know what my next sewing project will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Debbie :-) And I hope you enjoy your next doll project!

      warmly,

      Beth

      Delete
  3. You nailed the wonderful thing about cloth dolls; they can be interpreted so many ways :-)

    Thank you for letting me use your own LiliAnnie!

    warmly,

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was gifted with my sisters ann doll after she outgrew her. She was a sad little doll, no hair left, fabric so old her arms and legs kept falling off. I loved her more than any other doll I ever had. One day mom put rag-rag in the wash one too many times and she came out a mess of threads and fluff. So at the ripe old age of 7 I learned to make dolls trying to replace my much loved doll, I have made many wonderful dolls, but now at age 44 I know none will ever replace that wonderfully bedraggled doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, thank you for sharing your story of love and loss and creation. The doll of my childhood is long gone, but I have her memories and how safe she made me feel.

      Keep making dolls; they are all precious and none can be duplicated.

      warmly,

      Beth

      Delete
  5. Beth,

    Raggedy Ann's are a special favorite of mine stemming way back into my childhood. I still have my Raggedy Ann, although I had to redress her after she was left outside for a while and her clothes got moldy. But, she is over 50 years old now and she lies in my Cedar Chest hoping for the day when a little girl will play with her again!

    - Momma Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dolls of our childhood always have a special place, in our hearts or memories, or in the cedar chest :-) I hope a time will come when your doll can speak to the heart of another child.

      warmly,

      Beth

      Delete